Sunday 1 November 2015

To the pub for dinner

Yesterday evening we went out for dinner after the kids were asleep to our local pub, The Live and Let Live. It's about a 15 minute stroll away over the common. The only things you have to remember are a) wellies and b) a torch, as it's black in the country at night.

It's a beautiful thatched, timber framed building. It's lit by lamps and has the most amazing atmosphere, you could have stepped back in time a few hundred years. We sat upstairs and the ceiling is woven willow below the thatch. As we walked home we were in a contemplative mood (brought on by wine, without regular consumption it makes you quite wobbly). We decided we are so lucky to live in such beautiful countryside, within reach of a great pub and so many wonderful English towns. I only wish I could persuade more people to visit and enjoy it with us! I don't mean to sound conceited, only content with where we are in life right now. 






I took this one off their Facebook page. We live over the brow of the hill in the background.

Today we had more painting help, James' dad and sister popped in and painted the final coat on the outside of the cabin. I am so grateful for the help, it saves us many days of painting in the evening. I managed to finish the first coat of white in the bathroom. We are going to leave the other two rooms plain wood, but the steam from warm water won't do the wood any good in the bathroom so it's having a coat of oil based paint.

7 comments:

  1. I've always loved the name of that pub as I've driven past it's sign many times. Never been in there though, sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go Kev and take the wife, I'll sit at yours with the kids in bed!

      Delete
  2. Now that looked like a lovely pub....and glad you managed to have special time with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did thanks Vera, it's always more special when done rarely x

      Delete
  3. That looks like a place I would love to visit. Here in the US the big corporations push the sterile plastic look. There's no uniqueness and no charm any more for so many places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it really is beautiful, I can't help but want others to come and enjoy it too!

      Delete
  4. I would love to have a pub close by that looks as amazing as yours does! I'd visit! I know exactly how you felt about getting help with painting. I had help and it made a HUGE difference.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete